2 Haiti 4 Him

The Heckman family serving the Lord in Haiti at Emmaus Biblical Seminary

Monday, December 22, 2014

Advent Day #22- I am the Lord's Servant

Christmas is three days away, and my heart is so ready.  (Did I mention how much I love Christmas?)

Today, we looked at the story of the angel Gabriel coming to Mary.  He came to tell her that she would be the mother of the Messiah.  She would give birth to the Son of the Most High. The Holy Spirit would come upon her and she would become pregnant... with God in the flesh. (Luke 1:28-35)

That would be A LOT to take in!  I cannot even imagine what she must have been thinking and feeling.  But her response is so beautiful... and such a great example for all of us.



She says, "I am the Lord's servant. May everything you have said about me come true." (Luke 1:38)

All I can say is "Wow".

In our devotional today, Ann said these words: "It's the strangest, most wondrous thing: when you open up your hands and say yes to whatever God wants to give you..."

I still remember when my kids were toddlers and I would ask them to do something for me.  If they really didn't want to do it they would clench their fists in frustration and stomp their feet.  Holding those hands closed, putting on that scowl, and holding their ground was their way of saying NO!
(Of course I had my ways of getting them to change that tune! hehe!)

The point of what I'm saying is that we often close our hands to God when He is calling us, when He is asking us to do something.  We keep our hands closed, we put on that scowl, and we stand our ground with a whole list of excuses...

But what if, instead, we held our hands open to God... just like Mary?  What if we let go of whatever we are holding on to, and instead we prayed with our hands free, held up to Him, and offered ourselves as His servants?

What a blessing would come if we only be willing to let go and let God.

No comments:

Post a Comment