2 Haiti 4 Him

The Heckman family serving the Lord in Haiti at Emmaus Biblical Seminary

Monday, April 21, 2014

He Lives!

I serve a risen Savior, He's in the world today… I KNOW that He is living…

Yesterday we celebrated Easter, just like so many of you.  But THIS year, it felt SO very different.


Being away from family and tradition, just like at Christmas time, was so strange.  I am used to being surrounded by Easter activities leading up to Sunday… and involved in Easter services all morning long and then heading off to our families' houses for meals.

But I can say that despite being away from our families, which was really hard, He has given us a family here- for which we are so grateful!  


I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice of cheer, and just the time I need Him, He's always near.

Yesterday we went to Granny's church.  OH how I LOVE her church.
He was near to my heart yesterday… just the time I needed Him to be.  
Sitting in church, I felt His presence so powerfully!  




Matt was asked to preach last minute and did a GREAT job, as always.  (The picture above is of Matt and Granny). He gave us three takeaways for Easter Sunday because of Christ's resurrection:

Our lives are no longer dominated by death- but LIFE!

He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today!
He lives within MY heart.

We are no longer dominated by fear- but by JOY!

Rejoice, rejoice, O Christian, lift up your voice and sing
Eternal hallelujahs to Jesus Christ the King.

And no longer does Satan's kingdom reign-  but God's Kingdom!

The hope of ALL who seek Him, the help of ALL who find…
He lives, He lives, salvation to impart.


As we walked out of church and turned onto the dirt road in front of the church, I was reminded of Jesus' appearing to the disciples on the road to Emmaus, shortly after His resurrection.


I often think of this event in Scripture and I know that it is because of OUR road to Emmaus that began with our first trip to Haiti 3 years ago this month (and our new life in Haiti that began 8 months ago tomorrow, by the way!)…

As He walked that road to Emmaus with the disciples, even though they were ignorant of the fact that it was Him speaking to them, He reminded them of His faithfulness, of His deity, of His power… and then, through the breaking of bread, their eyes were opened to His presence with them.

He walks with me and talks with me along life's narrow way.

 My desire is to walk the Emmaus road- daily- but not in ignorance like the disciples did, but with full awareness- reflecting on His presence in my life, on His faithfulness, on His pouring out of His body and blood for ME! And like the disciples, I want my heart to burn within me as He talks to me on the road- daily!  (Luke 24:32) We can only feel that through an intimate relationship with Him.    

You ask me how I know He lives?  He lives within my heart.

After an amazing church experience, we went to the pool and enjoyed some great fellowship and relaxation together!  It was definitely the FIRST time we swam in 90 degree weather on Easter Sunday- for sure! 

After a few hours at the pool, we went home and Skyped with family- which is always SO nice!  SO thankful for being able to connect, ESPECIALLY on holidays!

Before we sat down to Easter dinner, we had an Egg Hunt- which is always so much fun, no matter how old you are!










We sat down to a WONDERFUL ham dinner at the Ayars house- with amazing desserts and GREAT friends! We started our meal singing He Lives together (which is why I felt the need to include that song in my post-  it is SUCH a good song- and such a great reminder of why we celebrate Easter!), followed by an Easter devotional (Thank you Stacey for putting all of that together for us!)




I am continually reminded of God's goodness in my life and in the lives of others!  

In all the world around me I see His loving care...
None other is so loving, so good and kind

I am so thankful for the celebration of Easter and for a day set aside to give thanks for His sinless life on earth, for His sacrificial death for us, and for His resurrection that enables us to have eternal hope!

He lives, He lives...

Let us continue to live in this reality

beyond our Easter celebrations- 

DAILY!

Christ Jesus lives today!









1 comment:

  1. It was GREAT to Skype with all of you yesterday!!! Easter is definitely different without you here but we are so thankful that you have your Haiti family to celebrate with. Love and miss you tons!!!!

    ReplyDelete